The Bantam Car Company
won the opening round of the contest to satisfy the
US army's 1940 specification for a light
four wheel drive but Willys Overland won the battle and,
some would say, the war. To ensure supply in war-time the
Army decided on a second supplier -
Between 1941 and 1945 Willys and Ford built about 700,000 of the vehicle.
Willys Overland Jeep MB
- Soft-top, 2+2 seats, doors - what doors?
- Loa 132", width 62", height 52" (steering wheel)
- 72" (soft top), weight 2400 lbs (unladen),
GVM 3200 lbs nominally
- Wheelbase 80", track 48"/48"
- 2199cc petrol 4-cyls, 2 valves/cyl, side-valve
- Bore 79.4mm, stroke 111mm, c.r. 6.48:1
- Power 60bhp at 3600rpm
- Transmission 3-speed, 2-speed transfer case, part-time 4WD
- Suspension live-axle & leaf/ live-axle & leaf,
- Tyres 6.00×16