The Defender name was introduced,
for what had been the
range, to cash in on the
A 1993 MY Land-Rover Defender 110 NAS (North America Spec.),
3.9 V8, 5spd, sold for us$123,200 at Bonhams Scottsdale Auction,
21 Jan. 2021.
R380 5spd full-time 4WD transmission used.
Engine limited to 300-series 2.5L TDi (except to special order).
- 1994 November:
D130 crew cab made available in Australia:
- 2.5L TD, 5spd (R380), full-time 4WD, locking centre diff.
- Unladen 2110kg, GVM 3500kg, payload 1390kg.
- 1996 LandRover Defender 110,
Station Wagon-Top, 5+4 seats, 5 doors
- Loa 4599mm, width 1790mm, height 2059mm, weight 1923kg (unladen)
- GVM 3050kg, towing 750kg (unbraked),
3500kg (overrun), 4000kg (coupled)
- Wheelbase 2794mm (110"),
track 1486mm/1486mm, grnd clearance 215mm
- Approach 50, departure 35, ramp break over 152
- Turning radius 6.4m
- 300-series, 2495cc, diesel, 4cyl,
Tdi (turbo direct-injection intercooled), 2v/cyl, ohv
- Bore 90.5mm, stroke 97mm, c.r. 19.5:1
- Power 83kW at 4000rpm, torque 265Nm at 1800rpm
- Transmission 5m, hi/lo, full-time 4WD, lockable centre diff'
- Suspension live-coil/live-coil, brakes disc/disc, transmission h/brake
- Tyres 7.50x16, fuel-tank 80L
- Rrp $40,590 ($au 1996)
- Notes Also available as cab-chassis;
hard-top (panel van) was dropped late 1996 (Aus)
D130, 127" w.b.
A LandRover Defender 90 in Australia in 1998
for evaluation of vehicle monitoring equipment with which it had been fitted:
The Land Rover Defender
got the new Td5 5-cylinder turbo-charged, intercooled diesel,
in place of the 300-series 4-cylinder engine.
- 2001 LandRover Defender Xtreme,
station wagon, 5+4 seats, 5-doors
- Loa 4599mm, width 1790mm, height 2035mm, ground clearance 215mm,
- Approach 50°, departure 35°, ramp break over 152°
- Weight 1977kg (unladen), GVM 3050kg, towing 750kg (unbraked)
- Td5, 2495cc, 5-cyls, common rail, 2-valves/cyl, ohv
- Bore 84.5mm, stroke 89mm, c.r. 19.5:1
- Power 90kW at 4200rpm, torque 300Nm at 1950rpm
- Transmission 5m,
2-speed transfer case, full-time 4WD, centre diff', traction control
- Suspension live-coil/ live-coil, brakes disc/disc ABS
- Tyres 235/85R16, fuel-tank 75L
- Also available:
- Defender 110 chassis cab
- Defender 110 station wagon (not Xtreme, i.e. Rdinary))
- Defender crew cab.
2001 Td5 Xtreme
110 Chassis cab Td5 manual $37,563,
130 Chassis cab Td5 manual $41,940,
110 Wagon Td5 manual $38,033,
110 Xtreme Td5 manual $41,790,
130 Crew cab Td5 manual $44,618,
air con' +$2.65K ($au 3/2001).
D110 crew cab
2001 June: A V8 HCPU has a bit-part in
'Lara Croft, Tomb Raider',
2001 late: The 2002 m.y.
Defender gets electric windows and
one key now operates the doors and ignition (and remote locking).
Heated seats and a heated wind-screen are options!
The rear station-wagon style door is stronger and of zinc plated steel.|
LandRover announced it would start imports of the short wheelbase
LandRover Defender 90 into Australia.
"Australian specification Defender 90 will be available
in a two-seat hard top wagon with
2.5-litre five-cylinder turbo diesel engine
capable of 90kW at 4200rpm and 300Nm at 1950rpm."
Also ABS brakes, traction control (ETC) and air-conditioning.
There was a D90 Xtreme at the Melbourne Motor Show, but
they are still not on sale (in .au) yet.
It had electric windows(!) and the doors shut with a satisfying clunk.
July 2003: Finally saw a new D90 Xtreme for
sale -- at au$50.3K,
although au$46K has also been mentioned.
The 2007 model-year LandRover Defender got
a Ford engine, and a 6-speed gearbox.
Power is about the same as the outgoing Td5 but, usefully,
at lower revs and torque is up.
The (.au) range seems to be a
5-seat 110 and 130, and a 7-seat 110.
50% more airflow is claimed for
a new heater and ventilation system.
All four seats in the D90 are forward facing,
ditto the optional 3rd row in the D110 station wagon.
LandRover even quote an acceleration figure:
0-100km/h in 15.8secs.
"14 separate body styles - from pick-ups and soft-tops to
crew-cabs and station wagons - are produced on the
mainstream production line." and
"[since] 2002, Defender has consistently sold an average
of 25,000 units a year worldwide." [-LR]
- 2007 LandRover Defender 110 station wagon, 5/7 seats,
- Loa 4639mm, width 1790mm (body), 1992mm (mirrors),
height 2021mm, wheelbase 2794mm,
track 1486mm/ 1486mm,
ground clearance 314mm(?),
turning circle 6.4m,
- weight from 2041kg (unladen),
towing 750kg (unbraked), 3500kg (braked),
- approach 49°, departure 35°, ramp-over 150°,
- Engine 2402cc, 4-cyl., turbo-diesel, "common rail", 4-valves/cyl.,
cast iron block, alloy head,
- power 90kW at 3500rpm, torque 360Nm at 2000rpm,
- bore 89.9mm, stroke 94.6mm, c.r. 17.5:1,
- Transmission GFT MT 82, 6-speed manual, 2-speed transfer case,
- 1st 5.443:1,
diff ratio 3.54:1,
- Suspension coil/coil, live axles, brakes disc/disc,
- Tyres 235/85R16,
fuel tank 75-litres,
claimed fuel consumption
9.5 litres/100km (highway),
11 litres/100km (urban),
13.5 litres/100km (combined),
the highway figure is more or less achievable
with a light foot,
D110 stn wgn $48,990 (7-seats +$2K),
D130 crew cab chassis $50,990 ($au, 2007 +orc),
- 110 stn wgn $48,990 (7-seats +$2K),
130 crew-cab $51,990 ($au 3/2008 +orc).
- 110 stn wgn £25,450 (uk, 1/2010).
- 2011: D110 stn wagon from au$49K +orc.
2008 June+, LR 60th
Defender SVX limited (1800 ww) edition $62,990 ($au) rrp,
black 110 stn wgn with some extras, such as Recaro front seats.
After a time away, the D90 returned to .au,
2-door, 4-seat (au$45K+orc 3/2010).
- A 'Mulgo' custom built 130 station wagon with a pop-top roof
at the 2011
Victorian 4WD Show,
In the 2012 MY Defender, a 2.2-litre 4-cyl. turbo diesel
with a diesel particulate filter (for EU5) replaced
the 2.4-litre unit, supposedly with similar performance
(120hp @ 3500rpm, 360Nm @ 2000rpm),
6-speed manual gearbox,
from £21K, Nov. 2011.
Land Rover revealed a concept 'DC100' Defender
at the Frankfurt Motor Show, hinting at a 2015 model?
New D90s seen advertised for au$40K inc. orc.
2016, Fri., January 29:
The end of production of the Land-Rover Defender
(H166 HUE, the 2,016,933rd) at Solihull.
2019, September 10:
Land-Rover finally revealed the
at the Frankfurt motor show,
SWB "90" 3-door from £40±K,
LWB "110" 5-door from £45,240,
"commercial" from £35K+VAT,
petrol I6 or diesels, 8-speed auto,
full-time 4WD, 2-speed transfer case, all independent suspension,
styling a little DC100 or Disco D3-ish.