Unimogs are high-mobility all wheel drive trucks made by Mercedes-Benz.
They are popular with armed forces and public utilities
for use off-road and in snow, etc..
1946: The first Unimog was produced.
1951: Daimler Benz ("Mercedes")
took over Unimog.
The Australian Army replaced its
International 4×4 trucks with Unimogs in the ?1980s?
6×6 Unimog recovery vehicles were also purchased in the late 1990s.
- 1980s, Unimog 4×4,
Forward-control truck 3 seats 2 doors
- Loa 6545mm (6940mm with winch),
width 2490mm, height 2615mm (cab) 3130mm (canopy),
- Wheelbase 3850mm, grnd clearance 460mm, turning radius 8.4m (wall)
- Weight 6600kg (unladen), GVM 12000kg (11000kg off-road)
- Mercedes-Benz 5675cc diesel 6-cylinder
direct-injection turbocharged 2v/cyl ohv
- Bore 97mm, stroke 128mm, c.r. 16.0:1
- Power 124kW at 2800rpm, torque 520Nm at 1800rpm
- Transmission manual, 8 forward and 8 reverse speeds,
fwd: 13.01, 9.02, 5.96, 4.38, 2.97, 2.06, 1.36, 1.0 :1,
rev: 12.60, 8.74, 5.78, 4.24, 2.88, 2.00, 1.32, 0.97 :1,
part-time 4WD, front & rear diff' locks,
portal-axles, diff' ratio 2.18:1, hub reduction 2.92:1, overall 6.38:1
- Suspension live-axles & coils, brakes disc/disc
- Tyres 12×20 18-ply
- Optional winch PTO driven, 6 ton pull.
- There is also a crew-cab model.
|U 100 L||4×4||1.5 - 1.8 t||3220mm||72kW|
|U 140 L||4×4||2.0 - 2.5 t||3470/ 3900mm||79kW/ 102kW|
|U 1350 L||4×4||2.5 - 3.0 t||3250/ 3700mm||100kW|
|U 1550 L||4×4||3.0 t||3250/ 3700/ 4500mm||114kW|
|U 1550 L/38||4×4||4.0 t||3850mm||114kW|
|U 2150 L||4×4||5.0 t||3250/ 3850/ 4500mm||132kW/ 157kW/ 177 kW|
|U 2450 L||6×6||7.0 t||3900mm||177kW|
Mercedes-Benz (.au) won a $20.5M contract fpr 55
Unimog 2450L 6×6 recovery vehicles, replacing
International F1 recovery vehicles.
- 1999: Unimog 2450L 6×6 Medium Recovery Vehicle,
Forward-control truck, 3 seats
- Loa 7580mm, width 2500mm, height 2800mm (cab),
weight 13,500kg (unladen)
- Payload 4,500kg, GVM 18,000kg, towing 12,000kg (braked)
- Wheelbase 3900mm (1-2) and 5300mm (1-3), track 1870mm,
grnd clearance 495mm
- Approach 47°, departure 49°
- Turning radius 9.25m
- Type OM 366 LA, 5958cc, diesel, 6-cyls,
turbo-charged intercooled, 2v/cyl ohv
- Power 177kW at 2600rpm, torque 760Nm at 1700rpm
- Transmission 8×2-speed (in fwd & rev),
2-speed transfer case, part-time 6×6,
diff' locks, portal axles with hub-reduction
- Suspension live-coil/ live-coil, brakes disc
- Tyres 14.5R20, central tyre inflation system (CTIS),
fuel-tank 165L (220L optional)
- 2×8-tonne winches,
hydraulic under-lift system & Palfinger crane
2013, April 19:
The new Unimog "U 4023 and U 5023 ... the follow-up models
for the U 4000 and U 5000" [MB] got new cab styling,
more efficient Euro VI engines and improved transmission.
2013±: The .au Army was to replace its Unimogs
with MANs under
Land 121 Phase 3B.