- 1969: Ferrari joined Fiat
- 1993: Fiat took over Maserati from de Tomaso.
- 2000 March: GM to swap 5.1%
of its stock for 20% of Fiat cars.
- Fiat Auto owns the Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia brands;
Fiat Auto is 20% owned by GM, 80% by Fiat Group.
- Fiat Group owns Ferrari, Maserati, Iveco, New Holland and
Case agricultural equipment.
(GM would have been first in line if Fiat had
decided to get out of car building,
but Fiat and GM parted ways in 2005.)
- 2009 January 20:
(close to bankruptcy) and Fiat
"signed a non-binding term sheet to establish a global strategic alliance."
- 2009 June 10: Fiat's
purchase of alliance with
Chrysler passed through the courts.
- 2011 January 1:
'Fiat SpA' (cars) and 'Fiat Industrial SpA' (trucks, ag., etc.)
listed separately on the stock exchange.