- 1899: Fiat,
Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino, was formed.
- 1908: Fiat Automobile Co. (USA) was founded.
- 1919-1926: Fiat 501, 1460cc I4.
Ernest Eldridge (GB), driving the Fiat special Mephistopheles
fitted with a 21.7-litre Fiat airship engine,
set a land speed record of 234.98km/h (146.01mph).
21.7 litre, 6-cylinder
- Mephistopheles is well named, still spitting fire, water and oil from
every nook and cranny.
- 1934: Fiat Balilla.
- 1936: Fiat Topolino.
- 1955: Fiat 600, rear engined, I6, water cooled.
- 1957-1975: The tiny New 500, rear engined, 500cc,
2-cyl., air cooled, was presented in Turin (4 July 1957);
it went on to became a phenomenon.
- 1964-1973: Fiat 850, rear engined, I4, 817cc - 903cc.
- 1969: Fiat 128, front engined and front wheel drive,
1.1 - 1.3-litres.
- 1969: Lancia
was taken over by Fiat.
- 1971: Fiat 127, front engined and front wheel drive.
- 1973: Mid-engined Fiat X I/9 coupe
debut at the Geneva Motor Show.
- 1979: Fiat Auto S.p.A. was set up to include the Fiat,
Autobianchi, Abarth, and
- 1980: The Fiat Panda is a small front wheel drive hatchback dating
from the 1980s. A surprising option is a four wheel drive model -
just the thing for shopping in the snow.
A Panda, not a dog
- The rear drive is yet another bit of add-on four wheel drive engineering by
Steyr Daimler Puch and
they get a little badge on the back.
Is there no manufacturer with whom they have not collaborated?
- Fiat Panda (c1989) 4×4, hatch back, 4 seats, 2 doors,
- 1108cc, petrol, 4-cyls,
- transmission 5m, part-time four wheel drive,
- suspension indep-coil/live, brakes disc/drum,
- tyres 145R13, fuel-tank 30 litres.
- 1982: Fiat Uno.
Alfa Romeo acquired.
- 1989: Fiat Tipo.
- 1990: Fiat Tempra.
- 1993: Fiat Punto.
- 1994: Fiat Ulysse SUV.
- 1995: Fiat Barchetta, Bravo and Brava.
- 1997: Fiat Palio.
- 1998: Fiat Seicento city car, and
the radically styled Multipla people mover.
- 2000: Fiat Doblo wagon/van, Siena.
- 2001: Fiat Stilo
- 2003: The new Punto and Panda.
- 2005: Croma, and new 600 (the 50th anniversary)
- 2006: Sedici, 4x4xTUTT.
- 2007: The retro new Fiat 500, front engined
(1.3 d / 1.2 - 1.4 p) and front wheel drive,
l 3550mm, w 1650mm, h 1490mm, and
Fiat formed an "alliance" with
(bail out of) Chrysler.
- 2011 January 1:
There was a demerger of Fiat SpA with
'Fiat SpA' (cars) and 'Fiat Industrial SpA' (trucks, ag., etc.)
listing separately on the stock exchange.
- 2012 Fiat Panda,
875cc 2-cyl to 1368cc 4-cyl petrol, and 1248cc diesel,
front-WD and 4x4 versions,
£7.5K to £13.4K.