A motor division of Toyoda Automatic Loom Works
was started by Kiichiro Toyoda.
- 1936: Toyota's first production car, the AA.
- 1937: Toyota Motor Co. Ltd. established.
- 1947: Small vehicles were sold under the Toyopet brand name
(one gets a mention in
You Only Live Twice (1964)).
- 1951: BJ Toyota Jeep (later the Land Cruiser)
- 1957: Exports of the Toyota Crown to the USA started.
- 1963: Toyota began building cars in Melbourne,
- 1966: Toyota Corolla announced.
- 1968: Toyota Hilux announced.
- 1989: The up-market Lexus brand was established in the USA.
- 1990: Carlos Sainz won the drivers' World Rally title
in a 4x4 Toyota Celica (also 1992).
- 1997: Toyota introduced the Prius
petrol-electric hybrid car.
- 1999: Toyota acquired a majority share of Daihatsu.
- 2002: Toyota entered F1 racing.
- 2005: The Lexus brand was launched in .jp.
After a singular lack of success, and
badly hit by the "global financial crisis",
Toyota withdrew from F1 at the end of the 2009 season.
- 2010: Toyota became embroiled
in a scandal over safety issues with several of its models,
particularly in the USA; sales were even suspended in Jan/Feb.