1940: Jeep specification issued and prototypes built by
Willys-Overland and later
Ford; see the Rifkind report.
1941-1945: Jeep MB,
built by Willys-Overland and Ford,
Willys 2.2L 4cyl side-valve engine.
1942: Ford GPA -
Amphibious Jeep or Seep.
1945-1949: CJ-2A the first civilian Jeep.
1953-1964: CJ-3B one piece wind-screen, low wipers, and
a high bonnet (hood) to clear the taller Hurricane F-head (ioev) motor.
1953: Kaiser take over Willys-Overland.
1955-1969: CJ-5 (a) one piece windscreen, high wipers.
- 1955-1969: CJ-6 (a) one piece windscreen, high wipers,
- 1957-1965: FC-150, forward control, 81-inch wheelbase,
pickup, was based on the CJ-5 (Corgi (UK) made a
- Also the FC-170, 103.5-inch wheelbase.
1970: American Motor Co.
(AMC) take over Kaiser Jeep.
1970-1983: CJ-5 (b) low wipers.
Dropped after 1983 m.y. because of safety issues.
- 1970-1976: CJ-6 (b), low wipers, 101" wheelbase.
Many think that 100" is the best 4x4 wheelbase,
90" restricting load capacity and giving a choppy ride on-road,
110" giving poor manoeuvrability offroad.
Nevertheless, the CJ-6 was not all that popular.
Dropped in 1976 after the introduction of the popular CJ-7.
1976-1986: CJ-7, 93.4" wheelbase,
soft-top or removable plastic hard-top.
- 1981-1985: CJ-8 or Scrambler, 103.5" wheelbase.
- 1981-1985: CJ-10 has
rectangular headlights and
a 9-bar, 10-slot, grille.
1982-1986: Renault owned AMC Jeep
(I remember this well because I worked
for Jeep in those years as a parts counterman for
a dealership & hated the way they set up their
microfiche for parts. We also had to deal with the cars
Renault made. It was a nightmare.
- Kern L. N@poletano).
1987: Chrysler take over AMC (and Jeep).
1987: Wrangler YJ introduced (still leaf sprung).
Made from 1986 on, it was derived from the Jeep CJ-7 with a
wider chassis and track, a different nose and rectangular headlights.
Many parts are common between the Wrangler and CJ-7.
The early manual transmission was a Peugeot unit,
not particularly strong and it is expensive to repair.
The automatic tranmission is more robust.
1996: Wrangler TJ with coil springs and a return to round headlights!
- 1996: The coil-sprung Jeep Wrangler arrived in Australia.
- SWB soft top or hard top Renegade, 2+2 seats, 2 doors, twin airbags
- loa 3883mm, width 1740mm, height 1748mm (HT), 1782mm (ST),
wheelbase 2373mm, track 1473mm/1473mm, grnd clearance 204mm,
turning radius 5.1m (kerb);
- weight 1570kg (unladen), GVM 1975kg, payload 420kg (all up)
- approach 42°, departure 30°, ramp break over 155°;
- 3960cc, petrol, 6-cyls, efi, 2-valves/cyl, ohv, cast iron block and head,
bore 98.4mm, stroke 86.7mm, c.r. 8.75:1,
power 130kW at 4600rpm, torque 290Nm at 3600rpm;
- transmission 5m or 3a, part-time 4x4,
5m: 3.83:1, 2.33:1, 1.44:1, 1.00:1, 0.79:1 (4.22:1), diff 3.07:1;
3a: 2.74:1, 1.54:1, 1.00:1 (2.20:1), diff 3.07:1;
Command Trac NV231 transfer case 2.72:1 (lo);
- suspension live-coil/live-coil, brakes disc/drum;
- tyres P225/75 R15, fuel-tank 72L;
- Prices Wrangler Sport Soft Top au$29,990;
Wrangler Sport Hard Top au$33,490; Wrangler Renegade au$36,990.
1998:Mercedes Benz and Chrysler
merged to form Daimler Chrysler (they split in 2007).
Jeep announced a limited edition
Wrangler Rubicon (after the Rubicon Trail) for the US:
front and rear diff. locks,
front and rear Dana model 44 axles (4.10:1), and
a "rock crawler" 4:1 low-range transfer case,
4-litre PowerTech 6-cyl engine (142kW 4600rpm, 319Nm 3200rpm),
5-speed manual or 42RLE four-speed automatic gearbox.
- Loa 3947mm (to spare), width 1693mm,
height 1693mm (1764mm hard-top, 1802mm soft-top), track 1473mm/ 1473mm,
ground clearance 259mm,
approach 42°, departure 32°, ramp-over 151°,
2007: Wrangler JK.
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 -- long wheel base (LWB), 4-door, Wrangler;
- loa 4750mm, height 1800mm-1840mm, width 1877mm,
wheelbase 2947mm (116"),
- 3.8-litre V6 SMPI engine, 146kW@5000rpm, 315Nm@4000rpm,
- 2.8-litre turbo-diesel,
- 6-speed manual, part-time 4WD,
- suspension: coil, live / coil, live,
- brakes disc/ disc, ABS, tyres 245/75R16, fuel tank 80-litres,
- from us$23.3K, au$35K (2008).
- There was a military version of the Unlimited, the J8,
including a step back to rear leaf springs.
- 2008: Jeep J8 (military only), LWB, 2-door, soft-top version,
- payload 1250kg (2750 lbs), towing 3500kg (7700 lbs),
- 4-cyl turbo diesel, 150hp, 295 lb-ft,
- 5-speed auto; Command-Trac 4WD,
- suspension: coil, live / leaf, live,
- Dana 60 rear axle, brakes: disc/ disc,
- built Cairo, Egypt, "available beginning in July 2008".
- 2010: Jeep Wrangler 2-door SWB 'Ultimate', 2.8-litre diesel,
~30mpg, £24K (9/2010).
- 2011: 4-door LWB Wrangler 2.8-litre CRD turbo-diesel,
from au$42K + orc (9/2011).